Ramakeli Das passes away

 At 11:40pm est, September 27th, the Appearance day of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur, at ISKCON New Talavan, Carrie, Mississippi, Sriman Ramakeli das, disciple of HDG Srila Prabhupada, left this mortal world.

Ramakeli Passes AwayAt 11:40pm est, September 27th, the Appearance day of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur, at ISKCON New Talavan, Carrie, Mississippi, Sriman Ramakeli das, disciple of HDG Srila Prabhupada, left this mortal world.

He was surrounded with the chanting of the maha mantra by his family and well wishers. Srimati Tulasi devi was at the head of his bed, Giri Govardhan sila was on his chest, Nrsimha, Varaha, Gopal, and Dwaraka silas were within his vision. A garland from Sri Sri Radha Radha Kanta of New Talavan was around his neck. He took a small bite of prasad and carnamrita before he began the final journey.

A brief history of service performed by HG Ramakeli das as I remember it.

His Grace Ramakeli das was accepted as a disciple of HDG Srila Prabhupada in December 1974 at ISKCON Chicago (Evanston temple). He tells the tale of how he said he would make the final decision to surrender after seeing His Divine Grace on Yadubara’s “Following Srila Prabhupada” DVD series. Srila Prabhupada was coming to attend the Rathayatra celebration on State St in Chicago. After seeing his Divine Grace, Ramakeli said he immediately surrendered.

Ramakeli prabhu served in Chicago from 1974 – 1980. He was a book distributor, as was most devotees at that time, and became a world class cook after taking 2nd initiation from Srila Prabhupada in Detroit 1976. His eggplant prakoras and tomato chutney were to die for.

I recall how many Chicago sankirtan devotee would schedule their day off to coincide with the day Ramakeli prabhu would cook the 4:00 offering. This offering was very elaborate. Full cakes, pies, milk sweets, and nectar drink. The devotees would plan how to steal the maha or use their connections to get a nice portion from the TP, pujari, or the cook – Ramakeli. I usually had the inside connection since we were friends and sankirtan partners.

Another highlight of his service to Srila Prabhupada was getting a prison preaching program established in Cook County Jail of Chicago around 1978. . This was the largest jail in the USA (not prison which is different from a jail). It took about a year to get permission from the authorities. They finally relented (the Catholic priest were the real problem) because they thought no one would attend our program.

Our program became the most popular weekly event in the jail. A prisoner had to be on the “good behavior” list to be able to attend. And, that list was no guarantee of entry because it was long also. They would only allow 50 or so prisoners to attend at one time. We would have kirtan, halva, and cookies made by Ramakeli. The prisoners loved it.

Ramakeli prabhu served in East and West Africa. He was the Temple President of Nairobi in the 80’s and Regional Secretary during that period also. He attempted to establish temples in Kisumu, Kenya and Kampla, Uganda.

In the 90’s and later, he ran a orphanage in West Africa for many years. He would take the youth and train them as devotees. Ramakeli prabhu also served at ISKCON Boston before going to Africa.

During the last six year he has battled the effects of Hepatitis C which destroyed his liver with cirrhosis and a tumor. The disease was most likely contacted during his African service.

A memorial service is being planned at New Talavan. Most likely it will be Saturday, October 6th. Please check with New Talavan or email me for information if you would like to attend.

Ramakeli prabhu’s passing was not full of pain. As he began to fade from this world he was calling out to Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur. He said, “Bhaktivinode… I’m ready to go…” I whispered in his ear “Please go… you have completed your service here… Srila Prabhupada and Krsna are waiting for you somewhere. Please go… your family will be OK. Thank you for training me in Krsna Conciousness in the early days. Thank you for you service to Srila Prabhupada. Please go.. don’t hold on to this useless body.” He didn’t speak anymore for about two hours… and then stopped breathing.

We wish him well in his service to Sri Guru and Sri Gauranga.

Sikhi Mahiti das (acbsp)

Posted in In the News.